Thursday, September 3, 2009

Where to Stow Your Shoes

Liveaboard life is casual, but not what I would call easy; there are many things to be taken care of that do not really affect the “land dwellers”.


Shoes! Where or where do we liveaboards keep all our shoes? That question may not sound important now, but once you become a liveaboard, it will be of utmost importance.


Marina parking lots and docks can get quite dirty, and you do not want to track all that mess onto your boat. The dog tracking in dirt is one thing that cannot be avoided; however, human shoes can be controlled. We have a basket just inside our boat entry for shoes. We either go barefoot or trudge around in socks or slippers. Now, a few words about what to do with all your shoes.



Most doors on a boat are not as thick as regular house doors, so over-the-door shoe storage bags are not suitable. We all have jobs, so here we have three people needing shoes for work, shoes for dress, shoes for play, and shoes for boating.
I love shoes! So, what to do?

I bought see-through plastic shoe boxes at the dollar store and line up the boxes against our stateroom walls and have them 2 and 3 boxes high. This works for my shoes as I can fit 2 pairs in each box, but my husband’s shoes are too big for this to work as solution for him. So, I bought several canvas shoe bags and cut them across each horizontal row. Fortunatly, our stateroom walls are covered in a material that resembles the loop layer of velcro, so I got the bright idea to attach the hook side of some heavy-duty velcro strips to the back of the canvas shoe pockets, lined them up against the wall, and, miracle upon miracle, they attached to the stateroom walls. So that was our solution to our liveaboard shoe storage. I thought I was pretty clever until I found this item in an RV supply store.




Camping and RV stores are a great place to find those perfect little storage solutions for the resourceful liveaboard. If you don’t have such a store near you, or if you prefer to shop on the internet, (yes, I’m one of those) then try CampingWorld.com.

Remember, if you just think about a liveaboard storage problem long enough, the answer will come!

No comments: