Thursday, August 27, 2009

Becoming a Galley Cook




Forget most things you know about cooking; it's a whole new world preparing meals on a boat. First of all, you will have a smaller stove, a Galley Range has
fewer burners and a much smaller oven and if you're lucky, a broiler. Most likely, you will not have a dishwasher other than yourself, so you will need kitchen items that clean up easily. I picked up a dish scrubber that holds dishsoap in the handle and it works well. Buy a mini dish drainer at a Target or WalMart and not at a boat supply store where it will cost much more.


Remember, counter and kitchen storage space will be at a premium, so whenever possible, search for items that can serve more than one purpose; I have done much of the work for you, and will direct you to the best kitchen items it took me years to discover.

It took me over 5 years to get the cooking-in-a-galley thing down to a smooth science, and now I pass the hard-earned wisdom on to you.

As a galley cook, you must submit to two important new culinary rules:

(1)   glass baking pans, mixing bowls and anything breakable are not a boating cook's friend.

(2)  a pot can also be used as a pan.

You may have to buy new cookware, dishware, and some small appliances. Pack away anything breakable, and start over. Keep in mind that some galley items should be purchased at a boating supply store and not a discount store, because you need non-skid bottoms on mixing bowls and dishware and you will only be able to get them at a boating supply store.



  My wedding china is now packed away and maybe I'll see it again some day, but Lenox China has no place in a galley kitchen. What you will need is a set of non-breakable plates with a rubber rim bottoms.

Acrylic, glassware can be found anywhere, however, I prefer unbreakable Makrolon, a polycarbonate that's molded into thick, heavy forms and specially hand finished to stand up to the hard use it will get on a boat.

I cannot stress enough how important storage space is in the galley. Instead of putting my chef's knives away in a drawer, I use this


Stainless Steel 10-in. Magnetic Knife Holder




It comes in different lengths from 10-in to 20-in depending on how many knives you have and how much space you can find to put it up. This knife holder is a clever use of space, and a great safety factor when the boat is a-rockin'.



At first, I found preparing larger meals on my 3-burner electric range to be an inconvenience because I have only three small burners. While some feel no big pans will fit the stovetop properly, I have learned to adapt. However, one great plus is the bi-fold cover that when up provides a handy shelf, and when the stovetop is not in use, folds down to provide extra counter space. If I need to cook several things at the same time, I use the main burner (in back) for my largest pot or pan, and cook the additional items in other liveaboard necessities: An Electric Fry Pan, a Toaster Oven and a Crock-Pot. I could not keep my family well-fed without these appliances.


Now that I have imparted my galley set-up wisdom and experience upon you, I have several cookbooks you may find useful, I know I did:  



  • Cruising Chef Cookbook


  • The Great Cruising Cookbook: An International Galley Guide


  • Bon Appetit!

    No comments: